Magnet Toys

toy with magnet

A magnetic toy made by the buckyball team to be forbidden by taking seven bullets after the baby's death. It follows the deaths of the 19-month-old Annaka Chaffin, who took seven of the bullets from a collar that her brother took home from college last August. Tragically, Annaka Chaffin was only 19 months old when we took seven "buckyballs" from a collar and killed them. About 7,700 other kids were admitted to hospitals for the same crime, a reported prohibition of using magnetic devices.

July saw the recall of a Buckyballs magnet model. A teenager from Florida was taken to Florida in December after having swallowed two of the mayonnaises. Christian Rivas, 14, received six of the diamonds from a fellow churchgoer shortly before Thanksgiving and brought them to her Melbourne college to "freak out" her boyfriends with moves like drawing a pencil from a nearby schoolroom on the walls.

But as she went to the toilet, she stuck it in her lips, and when someone next to her made her smile, she mistakenly took it. Bullets she took were made of nodym - a substance that begins to fragment and degrade into gastric acids. Christin was discharged after five working nights in prison.

Magnetic distress calls to persons under 21 years of age quintupled between 2002 and 2011 - a combined 22,500 cases.

Magnet toys must carry a hazard sign.

Recently, the European Commission adopted Commission Decisions 2008/329/EC obliging EU Member States to make sure that toys placed on the EU markets or made available contain a notice alerting them to the risk they present to human safety and public health. 2. The number of global child accident cases involving magnet guzzlers that have come loose from toys has increased dramatically in recent years.

Due to the fact that the size of the magnet is becoming smaller, more efficient and easier to remove, there is an urgent need for protection against the hazards for young people. To counter the particular hazards of magnet toys, the Commission has mandated the Committee for Standardisation (CEN) to review EN 71-1:2005 within 2 years.

However, pending the completion of this review, transitional action is needed to avoid further accidental use of magnetics with infants. Therefore, by Commission Decisions 2008/329/EC ("the Decision"), the Commission adopted an obligation for the EU Member States to require Member States to provide that toys placed on the Community playground or made available on the Community playground shall indicate a flag as follows: "Magnetic toys":

These toys contain solenoids or magnetism. Magnet that sticks together or is fixed to a metal item inside the person's inner being can cause serious or deadly injuries. Get immediate emergency treatment if you swallow or "inhale" a magnet, or with an equal, easy-to-understand phrase that clearly communicates the same contents.

Such warnings shall be clearly and legibly apparent, placed on the package in a clearly visible position or otherwise affixed to the magnet toys in such a way that they are clearly apparent to the consumers at the time of sale. Warnings shall also appear in the EU Member State in which the products are placed on the EU markets or made available.

The decision to use a magnet toys is based on the following definition: "toys containing or consisting of one or more magnet (s) or one or more magnet (s) component (s), of seizable form and dimensions, available to children" means toys: From that date, all toys which do not give the necessary warnings shall no longer be placed on the market or made available.

Toys which do not give the necessary warnings and which are placed on the Community markets or made available shall be removed from the relevant markets from that date and the consumer shall be properly advised of the risks.

Mehr zum Thema